Who doesn’t love homemade mac-n-cheese? Then add some spicy jalapeños, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes and you have the perfect blend of spicy cheesy goodness!! This is where the “three-alarm” comes from.
A few years ago while making a roux for homemade au gratin potatoes, I had an epiphany!
The cheesy goodness of a sauce would also make an amazing homemade mac-n-cheese sauce.
So, I tried it…adjusted…tried again and adjusted it again. This went on for a time until at last, satisfaction!!!
Thus, begot my very own homemade three-alarm mac-n-cheese recipe.
The recipe actually keeps evolving!
In the beginning, I only added Jalapeños but decided I liked the taste and spice of three different peppers.
I added cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes to the jalapeño, making it a three pepper cheese sauce.
This mac-n-cheese has become a crowd pleaser and one of my special recipes.
Today, I have decided to share my recipe with you all.
Homemade Three Alarm Mac-n-cheese
- 6 cups elbow macaroni noodles (cooked al dente and set aside)
- 5 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 3 cups half and half ((can replace with lowly milk)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (ground)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup blended canned jalapeno peppers (with juice)
- 6 oz Jalapeno velveeta cheese
- 4 cups shredded colby jack cheese (divided)
- Boil noodles according to package directions to al dente. Rinse, drain and set aside in a large baking pan. (11×13 or larger if possible)
- In a medium size pot, melt 5 TB of butter then add the 5 TB of flour to create a roux (it will look like a milky colored paste). Cook on medium/low heat for approx. 1-minute stirring continuously to cook the gluten in the flour.
- Add 3 cups of half and half OR low-fat milk. Use a whisk to continue to stir throughout the cooking process.
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, blended jalapeno peppers and red pepper flakes.
- Once the sauce begins to thicken (approx. 3-4 mins) add Velveeta cheese cut into smaller chunks and stir till dissolved.
- Add 3 cups shredded colby jack cheese and stir continuously until cheese is completely melted, careful not to burn cheese sauce.
- Pour cheese sauce over noodles and stir to completely coat all the noodles.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded Colby jack over the noodles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until the cheese on top is melted, bubbly and just beginning to brown.
- Serve straight from the oven. Enjoy.
Follow us on social media!