Today’s post is about a bee I created out of a few tin Dr Pepper cans and some scrap wood.
Forth of July was over and my mantel was all decked out in red, white and blue. I needed to change my mantle decor but Fall was still a little ways off.
I wanted something that is still summery, yet would lead into the fall theme.
My first thought was sunflowers of course, but I didn’t really like the idea of sunflowers being the main theme.
I have a little sign that I purchased at Hobby Lobby that simply says “be kind” and then came the “Ah Ha!!! Moment”. Bee’s pair beautifully with Sunflowers and they could steal the show. So I decided to center my mantle theme around bees.
I have a “more than slight” obsession with all things galvanized!
I already own a large galvanized flower. The flower and the “be kind” sign just needed a “Bee” to bee complete. (pun intended)
I searched on the internet but couldn’t find a bee I liked. So I decided I would make one.
First, I sketched out how I would like the bee to look. Then, I went searching for materials I already had on hand that I could use.
Again, my obsession with metal came into play. I decided I would cut open some tin cans and try to use them as the wings of the bee.
It worked perfectly!!
Next, I sketched the bee body on a piece of scrap wood I had in my shop and cut it out within a jigsaw.
Then, I used acrylic paint to color in the bees body.
After that, I found some metal utility wire. I wrapped the wire around a long drill bit in a spiral shape to use as the bee antennas. Then I glued them into two small holes I drilled into the bees head. Last of all, I hot glued a small piece of looped twine to hang the bee with.
Walla!!! I had a cute bee to hang next to my flower.
If you would like to see me make the bee, click the link below.
Follow us on social media!
Thanks for stopping by our little corner of the internet.